the gift of sharing
all my nonsense
with the people who matter


adrienne - azaria - brian
carol - cass - clare
daniel - debbie tan - desmond
eden - edwina - evelyn - iris
jeremiah wzl - joel qop
khairiyah - lianne
liz zhou - minh huong - natalia
neha - nick koh - revathy
tiara - vivienne - yi fen


Verbum Dei
BBC Online - CNN.com

best viewed with Internet Explorer 5.5 and up
Free Counters from SimpleCount.com
Web Counters

Monday, January 29, 2007

Shopping and festivities

- I realize that it's rather backdated to talk about Christmas and the festive atmosphere (yeah, yeah... I know I'm slow...!), but I do wish to share what it's like with you nonetheless. Plus I need to save some photos to sustain me for the next 6 months of updating this page, no? Haha... Anyhow, the decorations don't remain for long after Christmas is over. They take it down after New Year's Day. Then, here's something interesting: some of the stores next put up decorations for Valentine's Day! Yes, they do - right from January 2nd. And I haven't a clue as to why it's such a big deal over here... but I'll find out in a couple of days when Feb 14 comes round! -

All right, I'm done! Hey again!

And it's been a month into Seattle! How time flies, about one-sixth of my time in the US has passed. Today, we're heading Downtown - little treats for my shopaholic friends.

So there's the huge department stores like Macy's and Nordstrom - sights to behold, and just seeing each name emblazoned on the storefront makes your heart skip a beat. Your mind races and your imagination runs wild at little fantasies and fluttering thoughts of all the treasures that you can find, treasures that can't be found back home. Then you enter with eager anticipation, and you soak it all in... and your heart skips many more beats, at the sight of triple-digit prices and up! Ha ha... they sell mostly upmarket designer goods, so it was pretty much a window-shopping experience for us poor students.

As for the festive atmosphere, it was beautiful at Christmas time - streetlights, cars zooming by ever so often... then there were the trees with their branches. Red, white, and green lights entwined among the branches, flanking the streets, adding a soft glow to the evening and illuminating the night. You breathe in the cool crisp evening air, and a small mist appears with each exhale and every word that you speak. Christmas trees in store display windows, all dressed with festive spirit. Music playing as you walk down the street - one moment from carollers, the next a faint tune traveling to your ears from a department store when someone opens the doors to enter or leave. People around you all decked in their Christmas colors - green scarves, red boots, blue trench coats and silvery winter hats.

As the song Silver Bells goes, at Christmas time - City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, / Dressed in holiday style. / In the air, there's a feeling of Christmas! Indeed, now I know what these lines truly mean!

Next update: Sun, Feb 4 2007, noon onwards.

yours, from the little red dot at... 3:30 pm